Be paired with an existing promoter from elsewhere in the Highlands & Islands, who will encourage you to develop your skills and confidence as a Youth Promoter throughout the year.
Apply for a bursary to attend a range of performances and events across Scotland. From major festivals to events in Touring Network venues – be inspired by outstanding performances, see things you might want to programme, and network with performers.
Work together with other like-minded Youth Promoters to programme and promote a tour, of a performance of your choice, to venues in your communities across the Highlands & Islands.
If you are aged between 16-26, live in the Highlands & Islands, and would like to be considered as a GET IN Youth Promoter in 2018, sign up to our mailing list.
If you are an individual or organisation and are interested in finding out more about GET IN, working with us to deliver the project, or have a young person to refer, get in touch.
Frequently Asked Questions
What costs are involved?
The scheme is fully funded by Creative Scotland and Young Start. There is no registration or participant fee, although a cancellation fee may be charged if a participant withdraws at short notice.
The following expenses will be reimbursed following the submission of an expenses claim form and related receipts:
- Travel to/from your home to training residential weekends, Go See events or festivals, and any other Touring Network events or meetings;
- Meals and refreshments while travelling or at related events;
- Accommodation costs where an overnight stay is required;
- Ticket costs for Go See events or festivals, and any other Touring Network events.
Where possible, The Touring Network will book and pay for travel, accommodation, and ticket costs in advance, on behalf of the Youth Promoters, and meals and refreshments will be provided at all Touring Network events and meetings.
There is a budget for the GET IN Tour, which will cover all programming, marketing and related costs.
This is a voluntary scheme – Youth Promoters will not be paid for their time.
How much time will I need to commit?
The GET IN project lasts for a year and we expect Youth Promoters to commit to taking part in the whole project. The following is provided as an approximate guide to the time commitment required:
- 3 x residential training weekends – Fri 7 – Sun 9 Apr; Fri 23 – Sun 25 Jun; and Fri 6 – Sun 8 Oct 2017.
- 3 or 4 days attending Go See events or festivals between Apr & Dec 2017;
- 6-8 x 1 hour remote sessions with your Mentor Promoter over the course of the year;
- Weekly 1 hour remote GET IN Tour planning meetings with your fellow Youth Promoters and the Project Coordinator, between Oct 2017 & Mar 2018;
- Additional GET IN Tour sub-group meetings as and when required between Oct 2017 & Mar 2018;
- At least 3 days to promote and host the GET IN Tour at your venue in early 2018.
You will also be able to have regular contact with the Project Coordinator if required, and may be set some additional tasks between training weekends.
Do I need to have previous experience in the arts or events management?
Not at all. We’ll be providing all the training and mentoring you need, so don’t be put off if you don’t have any prior experience.
Will there be further opportunities that I can get involved in after the GET IN project finishes?
We hope that some of the Youth Promoters involved in GET IN will go on to become promoters in their Highlands & Islands communities. It is our ambition to support GET IN graduates to continue to do this, and we have secured additional funding for the 2016-17 GET IN Graduates, who will be able to join The Touring Network as promoters, and access the services that we offer. They will also be on hand to provide support and guidance to the 2017-18 GET IN Youth Promoters.
The skills that you’ll learn during the project are also transferable, for example, networking, customer service, team work, budget management, time management, etc. We would hope that having these experiences on your CV will help you to secure paid employment in the future, but cannot guarantee that participation in GET IN will offer you with paid opportunities.